CAUL Questionnaire (ANU 31/3/95)
1. Does your 2. Who is the University officer or 3. Gopher or WWW based? University officers with ultimate control or have a CWIS? responsibility for CWIS? Australian Defence Yes Director of Computer Centre Both. Originally gopher, Force Academy now linked to WWW and being converted Australian National No defined Director of IT Services has overall Older services are based University CWIS on ANU responsibility for the CWIS, but the on gopher and WAIS. Newer campus, University Librarian, as Chair of EISAC services based on WWW. although two (Electronic Information Services Advisory Many individual areas use servers fulful Committee) has a policy overview. Any ftp as well. many of the areas of campus are free to run services functions of of their own and are encouraged to do so one. via CNIP (Centre for Networked Information and Publishing). Bond University Yes Newly appointed CWIS Co-ordinator and Web WWW Subcommittee Central Queensland Yes Information Technology Division WWW University Deakin University In name only - Not formally decided. Recommended that Partially gopher but a prototype CWIS be controlled from Communications future development on WWW developed as Division of University demonstration, but no funds Flinders University Yes Manager, Information Services WWW James Cook University Yes Computer Centre. Individual departmental Both Heads responsible for their own information. Working Party on Networked Information (staff from Computer Centre, Library and academic staff) will advise La Trobe University Yes Director of IT Services Gopher initially but converting to WWW Macquarie University Yes Ultimate control with DVC Both, converting more to (Administration); overall co-ordination WWW with Deputy University Librarian
Melbourne University Yes Head, Information Systems Development in WWW Information Technology Services Monash University Yes Director, Computer Centre and University Both Librarian Murdoch University Prototype or Proposal for UL through an appropriate Planning to use WWW experimental officer like the CWIS Co-ordinator to be responsibe Newcastle University Yes DVC is advised by an interim CWIS Initially gopher but now Advisory Committee chaired by the Deputy both President of Senate; PVC (Research & IT Development) for technical infrastructure; Library and UITG have representatives on Advisory Committee Northern Territory Yes Manager. IT Support Branch has overall WWW University responsibility, Chief Librarian, as Chair of INFOTEC (Information Technology Advisory Committee) has policy overview Queensland University Yes Director of Information Services Mainly WWW, some gopher of Technology University of Adelaide Yes University Web server is maintained by WWW ITD; separate servers for different departments are maintained by those departments University of New Under Director, ITS, and University Librarian WWW England develpmenet University of New Under Division of IT under Director of WWW South Wales development Information Services for policy, technology, structuring conventions; Registrar's Division for maintaining central information University of Yes Director of Prentice Centre has overall Gopher initially, but Queensland responsibility. New Committee, Internet moving to WWW Working Group reporting to VC, is to review current UQ representation on Internet and WWW, and to determine policies University of Southern Yes Control: Associate Librarian (Electronic Both but converting to WWW Queensland Information Services); Ultimate responsibility: University Librarian University of Tasmania Yes PVC, Information Services Main host Unix University of Yes University Librarian WWW but some on gopher Technology, Swinburne
University of No, only Technology, Sydney Faculty Home Pages University of Western Yes# Manager, University Computing Services Gopher initially, in Australia (UCS) process of converting to WWW Victoria University of Technology, Footscray
# A project due to commence in the next couple of weeks will address development of a web-based UWA CWIS. Project is a joint effort by Library and UCS; a Library staff member will be seconded as the Project Officer. A project brief has been completed.
3.1 Type of machine on which data 3.2 Responsibility for technical upkeep are stored Australian Defence Unix Computer Centre Force Academy Australian National Unix for central information. Division of ITS maintains central machines; University Others diverse to local servers, Library servers are responsibility of e.g. Library has PC, unix and Mac Library; individual areas provide own servers. support. Bond University Unix ITS Central Queensland Unix IT Division University Deakin University Unix for University WWW; Unix machine managed by ITS; IBM-compatible IBM-compatible for Library WWW; by Library others using Mac or PC Flinders University Main server on Unix; academic WWWs Each organisational unit responsible for on variety; Library uses Mac; technical upkeep of its own WWW server James Cook University Unix Computer Centre La Trobe University Unix ITS Macquarie University Unix, Macs, & PCs Root gopher and WWW servers maintained by Library; each organisational unit responsible for its own component; CWIS Steering Group sets policy guidelines;
Melbourne University Variety in Faculties and Central server maintained by CWIS team, part Departments; central server is Unix of Information Systems Development Team within ITS; each faculty or department responsible for its own server, with support from CWIS team as required Monash University Unix Library for content/data; Computer Centre for hardware and software; Murdoch University Unix for central home page and some Library and Computer Network Services Unit data, others can be accommodated Newcastle University Unix; variety in faculties; UITG for technical upkeep; Library provides upkeep on its Unix machine and faculty technical officers would assist with faculty machines; CWIS Co-ordinator is about to be appointed on short-term basis to report to PVC (Research & IT Development); Northern Territory Unix primarily; some Macs and PCs ITS for NTU home page and general documents; University Manager, Library IT Branch for Library home page and associated documents; School for IT's home page and documents; Queensland University Unix Computing Services of Technology University of Adelaide Unix Library Systems department University of New Unix mainly; some Macs and PCs ITS England University of New South Unix for central information; Division of Information Services. Wales diverse for other parts of Communications Unit and Library co-operate University University of Unix mainly; not known what rest of Prentice Centre; Departmental information is Queensland University does their own responsibility University of Southern Unix ITS Queensland University of Tasmania Unix main host; departmental servers may be other types University of Unix for official CWIS; Academic Computer Services & IT, in co-ordination Technology, Swinburne staff starting t develop their own with other groupings within Information home pages on Macs and PCs; Services Group (Library, CS&IT, MIS and debating whether these should be Learning Services) linked to CWIS University of Technology, Sydney
University of Western Unix UCS Australia Victoria University of Technology, Footscray
4. How is material placed on 4.1 If by departments, is it 4.2 If yes, by CWIS moderated in any way? whom? Australian Defence By departments having full No N/A Force Academy access to their own area Australian National Central staff mount their own No, but proposed that N/A University data; ultimate goal is to "official" material will be have author areas responsible monitored to ensure it meets for the upkeep of their own standards; pointers to local data. Most material on www material will not be is maintained by author supplied if quality drops. areas, and not mounted centrally. Bond University Departments have their own Yes, material must be Departmental accounts on various Unix authorised and dated provider machines to which they ftp material which is then mirrored on the CWIS Web server Central Queensland Directly by departments on No N/A University their own servers where appropriate or on central WWW server if no suitable server is available Deakin University Several departments are No. Have not yet addressed Working party maintaining their own areas problem of ownership of recommended material on the University WWW information, resulting in be controlled by the (including the Library). multiple versions of communications Maintenance is via direct University information being Division which is access the Unix machine using provided (e.g. course responsible for telnet. information). managing all public communications.
Flinders University Library uses Appleshare to Draft policy concerning the Each maintainer of a place material on Library WWW quality of material placed on departmental server server. Academic information University WWW servers is in is responsible for is mounted on a variety of place. quality of their own machines in a variety of information. modes. James Cook University Each departmental Head may Guidelines currently being N/A nominate a co-ordinator for developed to encourage their CWIS information who certain standards. No plans will be given full access to to officially moderate their own area on gopher or information as yet. WWW server. La Trobe University By departments having access No N/A to their own area. Macquarie University Some Schools/offices run No, but there are Guidelines state their own servers with data University-wide agreed Head of School or stored locally. Other ftp guidelines office is files to a host machine run responsible for the by another School or office CWIS information e.g. the Library. relating to their School or office Melbourne University Information is placed on Publishing guides have been See 4.1 central CWIS using CAP (a established. Documents must Unix program that allows be authorised and include a Macintosh computers to creation and last modified connect using Appleshare) or date by submission to the CWIS team for uploading. Access to faculty/ department servers will vary. Monash University All of the above and by email Each department/ unit is Generally, CWIS responsible for own material co-ordinator who is which must have departmental Systems Librarian name and date on all documents. Library oversees and sets the standard for all official or university wide information and ensures it is kept up-to-date Murdoch University Most likely by running Yes, planned to have CWIS CWIS co-ordinator servers in different areas Co-ordinator moderate with with support from and providing links. guidelines prepared by the ITPC University IT Policy Committee
Newcastle University Administration, Library, UITG Yes. University Secretary Head of faculty, and local public libraries and Registrar, or nominee. department or unit provided material to Head of faculty, department will be responsible technical staff in Library or or unit will be responsible for moderating own the UITG in required for their own information. information electronic format for gopher. CWIS co-ordinator will Departments will have choice liaise. CWIS guidelines are to run their own WWW servers being formulated. or use a UITG server. Northern Territory Delegated areas have direct No N/A University access to directories on the IT machine to place documents for their area; NTU-wide information is directly placed there by ITS staff. Queensland University Departments supply files to Under consideration. N/A of Technology Computing Services who then Publications Department will load on to the CWIS. Planned be able to update that some information publications as they change. suppliers will be able to place entries directly into CWIS. University of Adelaide Departments maintain their No, but only nominated people N/A own. Within Library, staff can add directly to the LIS create documents and then add them directly to the LIS via ftp or provide source to Systems who add them. University of New Some servers linked to main Departmental responsibility England server; otherwise providers to ensure currency. have access to their own files. University of New South Central data will be loaded No, but it is proposed that N/A Wales by DIS staff. Other parts of the DIS will monitor data University will have their presented and may request own policies. changes if standards are not met.
University of Departments which maintain No, but new working party is N/A Queensland their home page on Prentice to review presentation, Centre server have full content, timeliness, access to their own area on reflection of policy, and that server. Those that have marketing potential, their own server have a link producing guidelines from the University Web governing presentation and server. style for marketing material made available on WWW and recommending policy regarding the extent to which there should be prescription of content of marketing material on WWW. University of Southern Departments will have full Yes, responsibility of CWIS CWIS Controller Queensland access to their own areas Controller with a designated Information Controller responsible for uploading the information. University of Tasmania Authorised people have full No. PVC has set up a new N/A access. working party to develop such standards and policies for CWIS. University of Technology, Sydney University of "Core team" provide WWW Guidelines* to be approved by Departmental Technology, Swinburne protocols and expertise to PVC's Committee in May. provider. CWIS administrative and teaching Manager has staff; people are encouraged editorial rights (as to publish through "official" interim measure). means to maintain Will be consistency; servers in responsibility of a different area have links if position managing required conditions* are met. Swinburne publications in all formats.
University of Western UCS, Library, Administrative Not to date. Will be N/A Australia Computing Services and some considered by Project Officer academic departments mount and maintain information. Project will address widespread distributed input and maintenance by departments. Victoria University of Technology, Footscray
5. Do data input sections 6. How is CWIS 7. Do you attempt to use commercial HTML mark-up publicised to campus obtain user feedback on packages? users? use of CWIS and its content? Australian Defence No Not currently No Force Academy publicised. Mentioned in reader education and by word of mouth. Australian National Some may. Packages used Via usual publicity Not formally, although University locally are not monitored , mechanisms. mail to URLs is although Microsoft Internet increasingly used to elict assistant is favoured. comment. Public domain editors are made available on servers. Bond University No, it usually does have to Courses and Web Under discussion be rehandled Internet Group Central Queensland No In-house courses Yes, from within the University service Deakin University No commercial products used Not very well to any No formal feedback for data input. Direct HTML sector of University mechanism markup, or conversions from RTF, Word or Wordperfect used Flinders University RTF-to-HTML used, but some Printed publicity, Yes, comments box next to editing also required courses and public CWIS Library CWIS workstation workstation in Library James Cook University No. All data produced Print publicity, Yes, from within service originally or converted for courses CWIS. La Trobe University No Print publicity and No courses
Macquarie University On the whole, free or Through newsletters, No formally, but some shareware versions are used Library-conducted server administrators training sessions, solicit comments online presentations at various management or school meetings, publicity brochures Melbourne University Data input sections use Print publicity and Yes, through email links editors/convertors that are courses on CWIS itself. CWIS in public domain or are teams liaise with other shareware interested groups such as Library and external relations Monash University No. Marked up in HTML by Print publicity and Yes, from within the individual departments. courses service Training and advice provided by CWIS co-ordinator who may occasionally "re-handle" data Murdoch University Not at present Print, etc. Not yet Newcastle University Commercial HTML markup Through news bulletins, Have solicited feedback packages are being used on brochures, through our publicity. campus, but there has been no demonstrations and May use the WWW form substantial input on central e-mail lists sending facility in WWW from other areas yet future. Northern Territory Yes, HotMetal & HTML Some print publicity - Not yet University Assistant are now used, other more could be done packages being considered (e.g. Microsoft Internet Assistant) as they are published. Many documents are still marked up from previous word-processed versions. Queensland University No Under consideration Not yet of Technology University of Adelaide No. Contributors typically Mentioned in Library Yes, by providing an create documents using Skills workbooks e-mail address for Microsoft Word, then convert (students required to comments with the LIS using rtfohtml. Final edit use it as part of is sometimes required to Library skills clean up the HTML. training). Subset of LIS is accessible through our OPAC.
University of New No Print publicity and Yes, planned but not yet England e-mail implemented University of New South Under consideration N/A N/A Wales University of Data for Library was Mainly through courses Yes, and e-mail address Queensland originally prepared for run by Library and for suggestions and printed pamphlets. Difficult Prentice Centre. comments is provided at to speak on behalf of all the bottom of initial home information providers but page understand it does have to be rehandled. University of Southern Rehandling until Internet As part of training Informal at this stage; an Queensland Assistant for Word for program, brochures electronic suggestion box Windows 6.0 can be promoting electronic is being developed distributed services, articles in university newspapers. University of Tasmania Not as far as known Through printed Not on gopher, but some documents and in Web pages ask for feedback training sessions run by ITS or Library or both. University of Technology, Sydney University of Most use HTML Assistant. Through print Through CWIS itself. Technology, Swinburne Also beginning to use publications, seminars, Documents all have Microsoft's Internet workshops and potential to e-mail Assistant for Word 6 and demonstrations. author, and frequently Framemaker; investigating request feedback - but not Pagemaker. often given. User Committee. Informal feedback through Internet teaching workshops University of Western No Minimal at present with Not to date Australia possible exception of a few departments/ bodies which have an interest. Publicity to be addressed in project mentioned. Victoria University of Technology, Footscray
8. How do you train 9. Commercial information 9.1 If so, is there potential users and providers stored on CWIS by staff and any payment? of the CWIS? students of University? Australian Defence No formal training at present Not aware of any. N/A Force Academy Australian National Under consideration; will Policy under consideration. No University probably be via the Library Very little on central and/or the Professional machines. Not possible to Development Centre. monitor local servers. Bond University Courses provided by School of No N/A IT; ad hoc instruction by IT Librarian Central Queensland Courses provided by IT No N/A University Division Deakin University No training No No policy on the issue Flinders University Courses currently being set Not at present N/A up by Staff Development and Training James Cook University Library runs training Not at this stage N/A sessions and provides support at Information Desk La Trobe University ITS Courses Some is available e.g. Agora No Cinema program Macquarie University Training courses conducted Not aware of any N/A mainly by the Library, or, at the School level by CWIS or some academic staff as part of their courses Melbourne University Courses provided by ITS, and None N/A the Library will also be involved in this training. Monash University Yes, Network Librarian trains Yes, e.g. MONADS No users; Systems Librarian (advertisements for "buy and trains providers sell"), announcements of theatrical performances Murdoch University Courses provided by Library No N/A
Newcastle University Library's Internet training Yes, in principle. UITG Not to date, and no classes draw attention to publicises its software sale decision yet on this CWIS when teaching WWW or facility and advertisements issue gopher. UITG likely to in campus news bulletins will employ contract trainers to be included. None from provide HTML training for outside University. information faculty providers. Library will complement this with general HTML training Northern Territory Library has in-house courses No University for its staff; School of IT runs courses for its students; other university staff not yet involved. Queensland University Via courses and seminars held Not yet of Technology by Computing Services and the Library University of Adelaide ITD runs training courses on No use of Internet generally, but not yet any training for providers University of New No training yet Commercial services relating No England to UNE will be included. Others only as a service (e.g. list of Armidale motels, bus timetable) University of New South Under consideration. Under consideration N/A Wales Probably via the Library and/ or Professional Development Centre University of Courses and demonstrations Not aware of any N/A Queensland provided by both the Library and Prentice Centre University of Southern Courses run by Library Not yet, but a "For Sale" No Queensland section is planned University of Tasmania Training sessions provided by No. ITS have Computer Shop No ITS and/or Library; some information of the Gopher, point of use training by the but it is not maintained. Library and freely available leaflets; documentation for information providers available on Web server.
University of Technology, Sydney University of Library conducts workshops No, short course information No Technology, Swinburne for users; Providers are will shortly be made trained by one person available to public through a (currently a Librarian); a link with VicNet - the State group has received a grant to Library WWW. fund instruction for academic staff as providers with CWIS team involved. University of Western UCS offers weekly sessions to Minimal, from interested No Australia train users; Subject parties rather than as a librarians include it as co-ordinated effort, e.g. part of user education some clubs information classes; In-house training within departments as required for providers; Co-ordinated training of users and providers will be addressed in the project. Victoria University of Technology, Footscray
10. Should there be standardisation of 11. Do you have a plan of action for any parts of the CWIS? reviewing and ensuring updating of information? Australian Defence A nice idea but difficult to set up. Currently under review Force Academy Australian National Yes, being developed Under development University Bond University Yes, have standards for departmental home Under discussion pages Central Queensland Yes, almost finished. Standards are All documents have a revision and University produced in consultation with Community expiry date attached Relations Division Deakin University Yes, but no policy yet. UL's personal Not for University CWIS. Library is feeling is that data supplied by our WWW currently writing a position and gopher servers should have a "Deakin" description for a "Library CWIS corporate look and feel to it. person" whose responsibility it will be to keep up-to-date any Library supplied information Flinders University Yes, draft policy document covers this Yes, will be the responsibility of Network Services Librarian
James Cook University Yes, being examined by Working Party on Under discussion Networked Information La Trobe University Yes No Macquarie University Headers and forms of addressing of No, but should be. CWIS Guidelines do server, but is subject to further stress the responsibility of discussion information provides to keep the information current and accurate Melbourne University Yes, there should be, and this is being There is a plan of action for discussed. reviewing and updating information on the CWIS Monash University Yes. Currently only date and name of Yes, but only for information for provider must be included. Also try to which we are responsible. encourage home page providers to conform to some standard by providing advice, assistance and comment. Murdoch University Yes Under consideration Newcastle University Yes. University logo will appear on home No plan in place. CWIS co-ordinator pages and a claim of copyright. There will liaise with CWIS Information will be specific guidelines on Liaison Person in each area on quality information to be attached to documents and timeliness of information. such as title, author, date prepared, e-mail contact. Northern Territory Yes, particularly in regard to accuracy Not yet University of facts Queensland University Under consideration Under consideration of Technology University of Adelaide Yes, try to keep to a standard of No. Each contributor is responsible presentation which is not too for keeping own contribution up to prescriptive date. Try to provide a "last update" date on each page. University of New Some standardisation is essential for Management committee will have some England ease of use oversight; primarily the responsibility of information providers to ensure currency University of New South Being developed. Under development Wales University of Yes, this is one of the terms of No. May be one of the issues to be Queensland reference of the Internet Working Group addressed by the working group University of Southern Endeavouring to achieve standardisation Yes, this is the responsibility of the Queensland where possible by providing templates and CWIS Controller assistance to information controllers University of Tasmania Yes, CWIS Working Party to address. This issue is part of the Working Party's deliberations
University of Technology, Sydney University of Yes, some guidelines have been developed. Yes, under discussion Technology, Swinburne See ** University of Western Yes, to be addressed by the project No, to be addressed by the project Australia Victoria University of Technology, Footscray
Abbreviations and Codes used:
CSC Computer Services Centre
DIS Director IS (University of NSW)
DVC Deputy Vice-Chancellor
IT/S Information Technology/Services
LIT Adelaide's CWIS
PVC Pro Vice-Chancellor
UITG University IT Group (Nwcastle)
UL University Librarian
Prentice Centre Computer Centre (University of Queensland)
* Swinburne Draft Guidelines under development are available from: http://www.swin.edu.au/cwis/welcome.html#pub
** Swinburne Guidelines from:
Compiled by Joan Jensen
Updated 28 August 1995
Return to CAUL Home Pag